Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Greatest "Let's Play" of ALL TIME

If there's one thing I love in this world, it's got to be cold-blooded murder.*

*probably not true

I guess Final Fantasy games come in a weak, flabby and distant second. However, if you knew how much I love cold-blooded murder, you'd know that second place on my list of loves ain't too shabby.

My left arm has been giving me trouble since the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in February, so I've stuck with RPGs lately in an attempt to let it heal. Finishing Final Fantasy III for the Famicom/NES again reminded me of everything I love about the early FF series, and I've since finished FFIII on the DS, magic'd my way through FFI on my cell phone with a party consisting almost entirely of mages, and I plan on picking up the PSP version of FFII again later on in the week. (I also threw in quick playthroughs of both the Dragon Warrior I hack Dragoon X Omega and MOTHER, also known as Earthbound Zero, but you'll be hearing about that later.)


My fondest memories of the FF series fluctuate between the immortal Final Fantasy VI and the first game, but for nostalgic reasons, FFI is probably my favorite. As an old-school gamer, I thought I knew everything there was to know about Final Fantasy I, including the bugged out spells, the nerfed run command, the breakdown of damage distribution over your party, etc.

But then a gentleman named after one of my favorite Earthbound characters proved me wrong.

When Mr. Brickroad teamed up with his buddy McDohl to play simultaneous white and black mage solo games of Final Fantasy I, the resulting blast of AWESOME must have taken out at least three city blocks. Not only did the duo prove that it's possible to solo both kinds of  mages, but they did so in a style that dwarfs the greatness of even cold-blooded murder. As someone who could barely stand finishing FFI with FOUR black mages, my pointy straw hat's off to these fine gentleman.

Place your bets!

As a bonus, the men and women who frequented the forum during its creation process added many more layers of intelligent discourse to the thread. And when they weren't doing that, they were making cheap jokes about genitals.

So it's a win-win situation, really.

I urge you to read this and Brickroad's other Let's Plays. The gentleman is part scholar, part madman and all awesome. If you're a longtime Final Fantasy fan, he will blow you mind right out of your skull. And that's just enough like cold-blooded murder to keep me interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment